Thursday 6 September 2007

Hectic week!

Well it has been a week of babies absolutely shooting out at me after unbelievably quick progress in labour, and being called as a second or third midwife to deliveries (involves possible resuscitation of babies and a lot of running about for things quickly), which have needed urgency. My adrenaline has been going like the clappers so often I wouldn't be surprised if my own blood pressure was through the roof. It is still very scary but I do feel so much better for the experience that I am getting, if a little exhausted by it all. There was one woman who had a long drawn out induction of labour but remained in very good spirits throughout, and was verbally thankful for everything which was done for her; who restored my faith in the positives of midwifery care. And of course there were a couple of younger girls who cracked on really quickly and surprised me in the way they handled everything. My mind is mulling over the issue of 'cultural differences' again for different reasons, which seems to crop up repeatedly ion my own personal reflection of aspects of my career. I will try to share them if I ever become any clearer. So other than the near car crash this week has been hectic but quite positive overall. And of course it is not finished yet as I am working Saturday and Sunday night shifts!

No comments: