Friday 28 September 2007

Bring on a week of relaxation!

Finally back home from bonnie Scotland, after what seems like an age of trials as Ali becomes increasingly defiant. This combined with the even more confined space of the MIL's flat and visiting multiple relatives just about topped off the last few weeks for me! 'Don't push me, I'm close to the edge' kind of feeling!
Of course the last you heard from me was the Thursday evening before we left on the Saturday about lunch time. The journey is about three and a half hours none stop, but with a toilet training 2 year old, a kitten, and MIL in tow, understandably, we weren't quite sure how long this particular journey would take. Now, as it turned out, it was like something from a comedy show. I mean, I can laugh about it now, but at the time I was very close to exiting the car and hitch hiking home by myself!

Not even a half hour North on the A68 and I was feeling decidedly travel sick because I was sitting in the back of the car with Ali. Drifting in and out of nauseous dosing, I was startled awake by D having to apply the brakes as some loony decided to turn right at last minute, and we very nearly went into the back of the car in front. Well negotiated by D, as I didn't fancy any accidents at this time! Of course the sudden stop had unsettled Dhu who proceeded to 'miaow miaow miaow' for about another half hour into the journey. I should probably mention we were only at the England/Scotland border at this point, so not far at all really, and at this point you also start to lose radio signal, for all stations. So, crackling radio, noisy kitten, now awake 2 year old singing any line from any song she can remember, sun streaming in on me through the window, stomach definitely unhappy, and MIL commentating the journey. Mmmhmm, not good is an understatement.

We managed to get a little further before Ali began her string of requests to use a 'toilet', and managed to find an appropriate place to allow her to, er, well, go. Plan was to stop at the tescos prior to the Forth Bridge, however, as you well know by now, my life does not often go to plan currently. Have a guess?? Correct, bloody roadworks! Not just any roadworks, a completely new road leading up to the Forth Bridge, and over an hours delay! So not only did this mean we could not access tescos for a toilet stop and lunch break, but we were bumper to bumper for over an hour in the stifling heat, and Ali was repeatedly asking for the loo. After several attempts to use the potty in the car, hoping that no police would pass by in the opposite direction, and the MIL laughing hysterically as Ali cottoned on that this was an ideal way to get out of her car seat; I settled the situation with a nappy and the promise of sweets at the first opportunity. So with my head virtually hanging out of the window because I was so nauseated and boiling to death, I probably inhaled more toxic fumes than when there was no smoking ban in place.
The following days I can depict into various battles with Ali, smiley happy visits to 'in law' relatives, and keeping my mouth shut despite my views on some of the things said and done by the MIL. Details would only bore you and I am sure you all experience similar problems anyhow.

Return journey home yesterday. This began with a more relaxed perspective from myself, because, of course, I knew we were heading home! I was teary to see how upset the MIL was, but we started on our way after a last call to relatives we had missed earlier in the week. The escapades began again when Ali decided she needed the toilet while we were on the motorway and were unable to stop - so seemingly was she. So following a 'palaver' to clean and line the seat adequately for the rest of the journey we continued on our way. Now we had been warned earlier by my Dad that there had been an accident on the A68, however we took our chances hoping it would be cleared by the time we reached this stretch of road. No such luck, as per usual. Still lucky if you consider it was not us in the accident, thoughts went out to those involved. Multiple stops to allow Ali to use the potty ensued, with no urine to be seen, and we were home slightly late for the new estate agent appointment. Poor guy was sat in his car hoping he wouldn't be late for his doctors appointment.

So, so, so. Today has been my organisational day to ensure I have plenty of relaxation days to follow. Shopping, washing, unpacking, phone calls, paper pushing, bill paying etc etc. I have even squeezed in a 1 mile swim because I was in shock when I stepped onto the scales earlier (must be all the comfort eating while away to console myself!) While tackling the aisles at tescos, nursing a throbbing head, I have to say I was comforted to see a woman who looked like she hated food shopping 100x more than I did, as she abandoned her trolley abruptly in the centre of each aisle and roughly through in various products with a distinct scowl on her face. Nice steak meal for tea, and I have tried many remedies to terminate the headache - only one left now. We all know what that is ladies!?!! Wonder if D will be up for the task?

No comments: