Monday 30 July 2007

Bed

As a couple with a small child living in an out-grown one bedroomed house, the most infruriating aspect of this situation is that we are currently sleeping on a mattress on the floor of our lounge, as our daughter occupies the bedroom. Dont be stupid, you are yelling, just share the bedroom with her! Ah, but its not that simple. For the first 8 months of her life Ali did not sleep at all and we were at the end of our tether trying to cope with minimal or no sleep. I was reading ridiculous books which were stating that babies sleep an average of 8-10hours when totalled up throughout a 24hr period. Well quite frankly at the time I could have thrown the book at the authors and screamed in their faces because I can guarantee you that I was getting a quarter of that amount at most. So having tackled postnatal depression, weaning, and transfering to bottle feeding before Ali bit my nipples off, the only thing left to try was us moving out of the bedroom, especially as I was not happy with moving her out to the lower floor. Coupled with her starting to get around more she was suddenly sleeping through - and basically I have not dared to move back in ever since! Now I am the kind of person who really loves my bed, even getting onto the mattress on the floor at the end of the night is so unbelievably heavenly that I cant begin to describe how good it feels. So many highlights of life happen in bed. Sex, sleep, dreams, that moment in the morning when the kids get in with you, deep conversations with your partner to clear the air, snuggling up with a hot choclate and a good book....etc etc. Therefore I absolutely long for a proper bedroom complete with luxury kingsize bed, dimmed lighting and sumptuous bed linen. My eyes light up every time 'furniture world' have a sale and you can almost see me salavating at the leather and pine designs ! So we continue to lift the matress up and down at the beginning and end of each day, and I can only dream of feather down quilts and being further from the floor! The most hilarious element to having only one bedroom means that when the mother in law comes to stay we are all camped down in the lounge as she sleeps on the sofa! And as I am looking at the ceiling listening to her and D snoring I just cant quite believe what is happening! Somebody please buy my house!

No comments: