Monday 24 November 2008


Having my uni house mates to stay was so wonderful. I can't describe how natural and how jovial life is when we are all together. It just reminds me how much I love them all and how much I miss them. It is so true that you really have no idea what great times you are having until they are gone. I had my gorgeous girls, a lovely meal, Newcastle and it s beautiful bridges and everyone with my family the following day. How could I have asked for more. The tears were unstoppable as they pulled out of the driveway to return home, South of my little place in the world. I waved and my heart broke. It's like a piece of me is missing. Girls know I love you, and we must not leave it another year and a half before we do it again!


Today's trip to Stockton on Tees has rolled up a close second to the stressful experience of visiting Middlesborough the other week. Once again I 'AA Route mapped' two thirds of the way and then became totally lost on entry into Stockton on Tees itself. In a scarily 'deja vu' moment, I found myself on one side of the river and the bloody university (where the study day was being held) on the other. Where are the transporter bridges when you need them?? Ha. You would have had to pay me to get on one of those again. And its a good job I don't have a problem with asking for directions - thank you kind staff at Halfords, that wasn't even opened yet, when I burst in flustered and mumbling this morning.


Having managed to get a place in the conference discussing 'The Impact of Sexual Violence on Health and Mental Health' after a series of emails with the organiser who managed to squeeze me in, I could not very well miss this opportunity. Road raging my way round Stockton on Tees in bus lanes and doing 'u' turns where I shouldn't be, I found my way there on the Halfords staff instruction and proceeded to sign in at 0929am - lucky lucky, one minute to spare - someone is surely watching over me! I was exhausted though. It is amazing how much energy you use simply trying to find your way! Getting up at 5am didn't help of course.


The day proved very interesting indeed. One of the speakers who addressed the topic in a midwifery and childbearing context made a very touching and thought provoking presentation that really did open my eyes to this situation in a new light and from an entirely different perspective. I dearly hope that I can use this knowledge to initiate some of the advice into practice in my own unit. You can rest assured I will be doing my best.


Buffet was disappointing. Drank too much pure juice and not enough water. Headaches and toilet trips a plenty as a result. Made some good contacts which may prove useful in the future, and the return journey was not nearly as bad. It is interesting to watch the politics of these events as well. The tension between the mental health workers and mental health/psychology theorists for example was immense - you could have easily cut the air with a knife. People watching is a very entertaining past time also. Observing individuals striving to keep their eyes open is also quite comedy, because yes as always there were dull moments too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend told me this place I have been looking for, I come, it turned out, I have not disappointed, good Blog

Jen said...

Thanks! I hope to continue to impress!

Anonymous said...

Good article, good things, good feelings, good BLOG!
Saftey Net