Monday 3 November 2008

DO....YOU....KNOW....WHAT....I....MEAN....????


Today I attended Ali's parents evening. Yep, that's right, parents evening at age 3 having been at nursery school for half a term. Of course it was more of an informal chat to discuss how she was settling in. Quite well according to her teacher, and strangely the word 'quiet' was mentioned. Quiet! Pah, she never shuts up at home! I rushed to collect her this afternoon as I had over slept my alarm following my night shift. Heartbreaking images of Ali looking for me as all the other parents were retrieving there kids, and being the only child left sad and waiting for me, were running through my mind. Luckily I arrived on time and as we were waiting for our appointment slot with Ali's teacher the emotional scene I had pictured in my head was happening for real to one of Ali's friends. I wanted to pick him up and hug him. He looked so upset. His childminder wasn't too late but I guess it must have crossed his mind that no-one was coming for him when he was the only one left. Well, it was enough to make me ensure I always arrive on time!


Nerves are consuming me this week as I prepare to head back to university. Training to be a mentor to midwifery students not even two years into my own practice is quite scary. Apparently you can do so anytime from one year of experience now. I guess they must be short on midwifery mentors. I only hope I don't confuse them completely, or even worse - deter them from continuing. It is quite daunting to think that I will be playing a large part in the decisions whether students are competent or not, but at least I get a chance to be a positive element in learning midwifery. I know only too well how a mentor can make or break you in each placement. If you don't get on it can lead to bad performance and zero confidence very quickly. Anxiety about the course is compounded by the fact that I have to go to North Tees Uni which is miles away - in Middlesborough, I think, and I hate driving into unknown built up areas with a passion. This has the potential to be the third car crash in three years to complete my hat trick if I don't calm down. I hear AA Route Planner and sedatives a calling!

No comments: