Sunday 5 October 2008


Excellent day today. After a long debate about how to spend the day earlier this morning, decision was to drive to Kielder Water and visit the Bird of Prey Centre. Unaware that this centre even existed I agreed this was an brilliant suggestion from D, and I think may have been even more excited than Ali!


There was a moment along the way as the winding roads got to me and the fertilizer became ever so slightly revolting, that I thought 'was this really the best idea?'; but once there it was great. The staff were so friendly and showed us round explaining about the birds. Ali was made up.


The 'Piece De Resistance' was definitely the flying show which I was so glad we made in time. Several members of the staff demonstrated how they flew the birds during the 'season' which was now ending, and explained how actually most of the birds do not wish to fly but only do so to catch food. Otherwise they do a lot of sitting around. This did put my mind at ease as I was worried they may be quite bored! One member of staff also explained how conservation actually prolongs the life of many of the birds considerably, along with raising money for preservation of species along the way.


At one point I had 'Deed' the European Eagle Owl millimetres from my head as the falconer stood right behind me (without telling me - I hasten to add!), and called him over. I literally thought he was going to fly into me he was so low. I ducked and let out a sneaky swear word as the other spectators howled with laughter. Hilariously stomach churning.


Finale - The Black Kite who had meticulous vision and observation skills. You could see him focusing so intently as each trick was performed. As pieces of meat were thrown into the air he would swoop in on them mid flight and eat them while flying - without the need to land. Those watching were allowed an attempt to fling the food respectively for the bird. At this point I allowed D to take the spotlight as I had no desire or inclination to touch dead animal shreds! I only hope I have the fortune to see some of these birds in the wild someday!


Overall fabulous experience - recommended to adults and children 3 to 93. Ali is three and although her attention span is not great, she seemed to really enjoy it too, and I was just so pleased we were spending some quality time together!


While we are in good spirits and feeling brave, tomorrow it's going to be Edinburgh Zoo!

No comments: