Monday 29 September 2008

Let me.....entertain you!


In a united front to battle this cold and misery (ok, so the latter may be a little dramatic); we decided to go to the circus and have some fun! A totally animal free circus I might add! Ali was very excited, yet she kept forgetting what it was called and repeated 'when we go to the.....', awaiting my entry of circus to complete her enquiries. I have to admit I was also quite excited. I think it was the anticipation of seeing her enjoying our day out. We went with some friends, so there was a little man of her age with us too.


Not quite in the spirit of things I spent the first part of the show trying to work out where the third 'ring' was in 'Uncle Sam's American Three Ring Circus', as under my observation there were only two. However I do need my eyes testing again. My next goal was to position us on our chairs without them tipping forward - which I decided was going to be near impossible. After diverting the children's attention from the expensive strobe light toys to the start of the show, we were entertained by a steady stream of acts; an eclectic mix of slap-stick comedy to poor taste performances bordering very close to inappropriate humour, with a few actual circus tricks in for good measure - so that they could actually call it a circus.


To ensure you do no think me too cynical in this world of children's entertainment, there were some very good heart stopping acts within the show. I was extremely impressed by the roller-skating duo who circled a silver platform about 2 metres in diameter, 'flinging' each other in all sorts of directions. At one point when the male of the partnership attached a strap to his neck and proceeded to attach it to his partners head, I could feel the intensity inside myself. Spinning her round at increasing rate she then began to spin round herself mid air on an axis placed in the centre of the strap. The volume of the audience was enough to demonstrate the success of the trick. No trapeze or tight-rope though, much to my dismay.


Finale time did not fail to deliver as well. Unbelievably three guys on motorbikes entered a metal sphere cage and performed an array of tricks inside with very little space between them! I am convinced that I actually heard two of them clip each other slightly at one point. Fantastic finish. Well, the kids loved most of it and that was the whole point - so successful trip out overall.


On a more adult entertainment level - I have spent a small fortune on a dirty night away for me and D in celebration of our 5 years together. A package entitled 'Moonlight n Vermont' - to include champagne and canapes on arrival, a three course evening meal, the nights stay in the Vermont Hotel (Newcastle Quayside - 4 star), breakfast the next morning - and the best bit - check out time of 7pm! What on earth are we going to do all day.......?


I must end this post. I can no longer fight the tears now welling in my eyes because Nemo's mother has just been killed by the barracuda.

No comments: